Monday, June 27, 2011

Double Welt Cording

Thank you for the nice comments about the chair.  I am going to break down some of the steps to hopefully answer some of your questions.  Many of you commented on the cording so I thought that I would share how it was made.

Before I do, I should probably remind you that I have never done anything like this before.  Up to this point, my upholstery projects were limited to dining chairs and benches.  Because of this, I started with a chair that 1) was found on the side of the road and 2) I used drop cloth for the upholstery.  My thoughts were that if I decided to throw in the towel and kick this thing to the curb, there would be money wasted.

To prepare the drop cloth, I washed it twice soaking it an hour each time.  Drop cloth right out of the package can be very stiff so unless you are using it for a project that requires a stiff fabric, I recommend washing it first.

To make the cording, I first measured how much I would need using the cording itself going around all of areas where cording is needed.  Then I doubled that amount (because it is double cording).  The beauty of drop cloth is that you can cut a tiny cut with scissors, then rip the rest which is much faster and precise than cutting with scissors.

I used this cording and found it at Joanns.


It is recommended that you use a special sewing machine foot to make the cording.  I did not have one and decided to try it without and it worked just fine.  This was also my first time making the cording and it isn't perfect, but will do.

First lay the strip of drop cloth out and place one piece of cording on the strip.  Fold the cording over about half way as shown in the image above.



Next lay the other piece of cording as close as you can next to the wrapped cording.
Then fold the fabric over to cover both rows of cording and stitch down the middle.  You will have to stop and reposition the cording and fabric every 6-8" or so.  Trim away extra fabric after you finish this step.
When you are finished it will look like this on the top. 
Before gluing the cording on, I first pinned it into place on the chair.  To secure the welting to the chair I used a glue gun.
Hopefully this makes sense.  If not, feel free to email me.

19 comments :

  1. I've always wanted to try such a project but have shied away for obvious reasons. Well with this tutorial ... bring on the dumpster diving!:)

    Have a great week ~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! What kind of sewing machine foot did you use? Just a regular one or something that stitches closer?
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're really making me want to do this! I love your chair,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is seriously a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just regular glue int he glue gun, huh? So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just broke out my new sewing machine for the first time and, though a complete upholstery project is beyond my skill set, I'm bookmarking this tutorial for later! What are the specs for a "special sewing machine foot"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley, I don't know the specs, but there is a foot with two grooves for the cording to feed through. I think the purpose is to make it easier to feed, but isn't 100% necessary if you take your time. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So impressive. How the heck did you do the back of the chair? Did you sew seams where the puffy parts were {technical term, I know}.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did great!!! I'm still too scared to attempt such things! The thought of making my own cording hurts my head! Your chair looks beautiful! Love the pillow too :)
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. you did such a great job! i'm very impressed! thx for sharing the "how to"

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK...crazy question, but I love the texture of your drop cloth. It looks kind of nubby....Did you just get it at Lowe's or Home Depot???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this one came from Lowes, but they are all pretty much the same. This one was maybe 3' wide by 8-10'. It is easier to use because it is like yardage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial! I've never made a double welting, but you make it look so easy, I may have to try it on my next upholstery project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed, Rene! You say you've never done anything like this before... It looks very professional. You're a pro your first time! You're talented. Love the throw pillow, too. Did you make that? Very pretty fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I loved seeing this picture of your chair again. Your sewing skills astound!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this detail makes your chair, Rene!! I can't believe you've never upholstered a chair before - you'd never know!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trish, I deleted my first response to your question because I mis-read it and gave a completely random answer. I used a normal foot to make the welting. I hope this helps.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not sure my sewing skills are up to this, but I'm saving this post for someday just in case! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks so much for the very detailed info on double welting! I purchased my first upholstery project- a $15 grandma chair, and I plan on using the same techniques. I am bookmarking this for when I need the info!! thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...