Friday, August 12, 2011

Monogrammed Box


 This is a painting that Mom and I found in a thrift store for a song.  I am always drawn to images of water scenes and boats so this piece just had to come home with me.  I really wanted to pull an accent color from the painting to break up all the blue and white in the sun room and I thought the coral/orange shades would work well.


Boxes are a great way to bring in color and provide extra storage.  If anything can look good and give me another place to squirrel something away then win - win.  We have boxes all over the house and they mostly hold old cards and letters (something I have a difficult time throwing away).  I decided to paint the box you see above with paint left over from this project.



After applying 3 coats of paint to the box sanding in between, the next step was adding a monogram.  My inspiration for this project came from this umbrella stand and this box.


To come up with my own monogram, I sketched out the letters on copy paper until it looked "right" to me.  Then I placed the paper over the box and re-traced the design pressing hard enough to make a slight impression in the wood.  The final step was filling in the design with white paint.


I really like the pop of color it gives the room. 


The boys have been gone all week and I have been wrapping up lots of projects.  Come back next week to see what I did with this....

Have a great weekend!

Joining Metamorphosis Monday.

22 comments :

  1. I love this monogrammed box! If I get super brave I may have to try to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute box! I like the color you chose to compliment the other colors in the room. I'm drawn to boxes, too, but have to work hard at keeping them from becoming catch-alls. Also, I've found that if I'm displaying a box in a public room, it has to be in good shape. There's something irresistible about lifting a lid and peeking inside. I had an antique box that I used to keep in the Living Room, until a guest, overcome with curiousity, accidentally dropped it while trying to see what was inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I never thought about painting a box to add color. That's a great idea.

    Second, I gave an engagement gift to my blog partner/daughter and now son-in-law. It was the opportunity to work with a monogram artist to design their own monogram. It is absolutely spectacular. She could so do this with their monogram.

    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how much energy we get, and how much we accomplish, when our kids/husbands are gone? Sometimes, I feel like an episode of the old TV show "While You Were Out".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea. The color is perfect and the monogram is flawless! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so fabulous, rene! and the color is AWESOME! i am seeing a lot of that color lately... thinking it needs to be somewhere in my new house as clearly all the cool kids are using it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. and that painting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! It now looks like a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is beautiful! just love the color!

    ashley

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable box, that's an absolutely heavenly color. And just the right amount of it too.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! You've just given me the inspiration I need for a wooden tray I've been struggling with!
    Have a great weekend!
    Lori
    www.lorimayinteriors.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for original art (I like water images too - must be the Cancer in me) and adding a little color. Makes me want to keep my eye out for boxes to paint at the thrift store. I am pretty much dying to know what you did with the leather ottoman too.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your box is beautiful, Rene! It is a fun pop of coral and your monogram looks perfect. My aunt just gave me a bunch of old wooden cigar boxes that used to belong to my great great grandfather. She thought I might like to paint them. I have trouble throwing old cards and letters away, too. They are so meaningful. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet! :) Rene, I love your blog, but I so miss the pretty picture of your cottage with its vine. :) Happy last days of summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I looooove this!!

    Emily Hewett
    A Well Dressed Home
    awelldressedhome.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am such a sucker for a monogram - and that coral color -ooooooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the box and especially the color you chose. The monogram is truly inspired :) I love anything monogrammed and I hope I will be able to try your idea with that much success!

    Kindly, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  18. What!? You are on a crazy awesome diy roll lately! This looks great, and I love that you used leftover paint and made the monogram yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your monogrammed box!

    I have about 100 of them in my apartment,they have become addicting, maybe I have a problem haha

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...