Thursday, October 25, 2012

Two Years Ago...

...and completely on a whim, I started an Etsy store.  I remember it well.  We were in Maryland for Thanksgiving.  I had just made my first table runner and decided to start selling them.


  Then I made two sets of place mats and listed those - promising myself to never make them again.  Ever.


Once those sold (to the Verdant Works Museum), I began receiving Etsy conversations asking if I would make more of the place mats.  Reluctantly I would.  As time went on, I got better at making them and found more efficient ways of doing it.  Today, I have sold 244 orders of place mats.  Whew!  I guess in hard times, we let the customer drive the business. 


I often receive custom orders like this family/party of fifteen personalized set.  By the way, everything is made to order which gives me time to reflect about the people who will be using my creations.  I love picturing families cozied in around the Thanksgiving table using my place mats.  Warms my heart!


And in case you are wondering, not everyone wants words on their place mats, so I now offer them plain for a little less than the others. 

Thank you to everyone who has supported this journey!  I could not have done it without you!  

Just a reminder that today is the last day to enter the Aubrey Home giveaway.  The winner will be announced tomorrow.

21 comments :

  1. Way to go, Rene! I've loved them for a long time--I just wish my table was big enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rene, congrats on your two year anniversary. I love your placemats and table runner. I had no idea you started your etsy shop on a whim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. Congrats on the business. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Always loved these. Once I figure out my dining room situation (redoing things around here) I just might have to request some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! congrats! i would say you involuntarily created a niche for yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Rene! I didn't know you didn't like making the placemats. That's kind of funny :) I am still enjoying mine very much, if it makes you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mean to give the impression that I don't "like" making them now Emily. It just took a while to figure out what I was doing. :)

      Delete
  7. Isn't it funny how things work out? We'll start one thing thinking it's a great idea, but nobody loves it. We start another thinking this'll end soon, and it takes off. I'm glad you learned more efficient ways of making your placemats, because people obviously love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, life is definitely funny that way. We live, we learn. :)

      Delete
  8. I can see why your placemats have done so well - they're charming! And I do love your dining room - I'd love to know where you found that big gorgeous lantern. Hope you and your readers can stop by and enter my Novica giveaway, Rene'! It's a gift card and we will be supporting artists all over the world!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! The lantern is from Ballard.

      Delete
  9. As one of the 244, I'm glad you started your etsy store Rene! I love my placemats. Congratulations on your continued success :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing! And not surprising. I love the runner and place mats. In face, I may need to order a runner that says "give thanks". Love your work! ;-)
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so great, Rene! Glad this business unexpectedly took off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this your living room? its gorgeous!! and congrats for all your success!

    iambornlippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your designs are simple and so beautifully made. I love that runner. Now I'm off to your etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work is beautiful Rene! It is heartwarming!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely placemats. No wonder they are such a strong seller. They are so unique with the names on them and you are offering something not found at Pottery Barn or any other store. Very nice touch to any family's table.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey...your DR looks awesome! And congrats on the placemats! Glad you got more efficient at making them cause they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...