Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The One That Got Away & Client Inspiration

Many moons ago, Mom gave me a piano.  It wasn't in great shape and needed tuning, but still - It was a piano.  We tried and tried to incorporate it into our home and one day we had a weak moment and gave it away for next to nothing.  I can now think of several places where it would fit.  And it doesn't help that the boys remind me of how we used to have a piano the fun they used to have playing it.  I'm not sure about the last part, but whatever.

My clients piano - lots of room for  a gallery wall :)

Fast forward to now...I have a client who has a beautiful piano in her living room.  The piano was a gift from a college friend and has a ton of sentimental meaning.  We are on a mission to update the living and adjoining dining rooms in a comfortable and tasteful approach without being too stuffy.  You know, pretty and chic yet inviting and usable.  Because my client loves pictures of her family, the instant I saw the piano, it reminded me of the time Emily skyped her sister and together they created a gallery wall around her sister's piano.  Do you remember that post?


This whole piano thing got me thinking and so I searched for more images of pianos in rooms that have a current feeling about them.  If you are in a piano rut, this might help...





Have you stumbled upon piano inspiration you would like to share?  Please feel free to add a comment & link.  Have a great day!



13 comments :

  1. Oh I can relate so well to the piano giveaway situation. We had one and I gave it away years back and have regretted it ever since. I am actually on the hunt for another piano. Problem is I really do not have anywhere to put it but I miss having one. I love seeing a piano in a room...not sure why it does not seem to fit in to a lot of 'design' posts but these images are lovely. Such a feeling of history and family in the second image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! My sister will be *so* glad you linked to that post. She still hasn't forgiven me for that butt skype shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas Rene! i love the pink painting sitting on the piano; very contemporary feel and it works!

    One could switch the art out anytime!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the images-- I want to incorporate a piano one day into our home...but have always wondered where and how!! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring post.....just called the piano tuner today.....now need to decorate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just bought an antique piano. I have never had one so I am not sure how to accessorize it. Thanks for the tips!
    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful inspiration photos. We are in the process of searching for a piano. My son is in his 3rd year of lessons and has just been practicing on a keyboard. He really needs a piano at this point but I am not ready to splurge on a new one. Hopefully, we can find a used one for a reasonable price...so I will be using some of those ideas to decorate around it!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rene- Don't worry - keep looking and I'm sure you can find someone to give you a piano! I love the photographs.

    We have a really old hand-carved one (cherubs!) and it's going to go under the flat screen TV soon. Not as romantic, but it's where I can put it!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the examples. Now I want to go work on the arrangement over my piano. That skype post was awesome! I must have missed that one when she posted it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your references! I would love a piano, but it would probably just collect dust!

    Have you read about the "Egg Piano" over at Little Black Door?
    http://thelittleblackdoor.blogspot.com/2012/08/elephants-and-eggs.html
    http://thelittleblackdoor.blogspot.com/2012/09/humpty-dumpty-piano-styling.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to have a piano - just not sure where'd I put it - but I think they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just want to let your readers know that pianos can be painted :-) We've done several. (My husband is a Registered Piano Technician.) The caveat to doing it appropriately so as not to "injure" the insides of the piano, is to have a qualified piano technician remove the 'action' (the insides of the piano)before painting.

    As a pianist and interior decorator, I always think first of the piano as an instrument and secondly as a piece of furniture. If you want to play, you'll find room for a piano. If it's just going to be a piece of furniture, well...... ;-)

    Here's my piano. I wanted to make the piano the star in this area of the room, so I went with a very simple framed art print on the wall. http://cndesigns.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/meet-millicent-part-2-2/

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...