Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One Room Challenge: Week One

It is week one of the One Room Challenge.  If you missed the first post, you can catch up here.  Basically, the ORC is a group of twenty bloggers who have six weeks to complete a room.  There is no prize and it really isn't a competition, but it is lots of fun and 100% inspiring.  So be sure to visit the other links at the bottom if you want to see the really good stuff!


I am happy to report that we have made progress in the 17 year old's room!  The walls have been painted Sherwin Williams, essential gray.  I didn't want to go too light on the walls because the floors are painted white -at the same time I wanted contrast between the curtains and walls.  Just as a reminder, one request was that the room has dark curtains.  I scored a pair of charcoal velvet curtains at World Market (this is a low budget makeover, people) and they worked perfectly.  I found the duvet cover at IKEA.


I've always loved this corner, so  I brought the wingback chair into the room to create a very small seating area.  Let's pretend like the slip cover has been ironed - you can read about it here.  And now we're off...




I don't want this room to be too drab and boring, so I plan to bring in green as an accent color.  Last week I mentioned the possibility of using an Annie Sloan paint on the chest of drawers.  I adore the way this piece turned out and think it might be a good candidate for the existing cheapo chest of drawers!


As much as I love the previous piece, I wonder if this is a better green for the room - thoughts?


We started sharing thoughts on exactly what kind of art he would like to see in the room and I showed him a few inspiration images like this one.  I think we have narrowed it down to boats, landscape, military stuff, quotes, and photos he has taken with his i-phone.  Should be interesting...and a lengthy process, but hopefully reflective of his likes/taste.

That's all I've got for this week.  More to come.  And now for the links to the other participants:






27 comments :

  1. I like what you've done so far! My vote is for the second green; it seems more masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a wingback chair. Perfect for reading. This will be really masculine and warm. I like the second green, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good Corner as well!! I think it is fantastic that he even CONSIDERS Art!! Way to go Mom!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh loving the color and the second green gets my vote, too!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the elements you have put together so far. I think I vote for the second green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Lord...could I love that corner any more??? What if we do the same room.....wouldn't that just be hilarious.....hee hee
    You are certainly cranking your room out! I love everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so on board with this room plan! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of progress for one week Rene. It's looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The second green is more "manly" and I like it with the plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another vote for the second green, love the Ikea duvet, too! Have fun with the art!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that brighter green...but...think the second one looks a bit more masculine. Loving the plans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I second the deeper olive green. Is he your swimmer. How about framing some goggles? Ribbons?
    love what you've done.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love this idea pve! Thank you!

      Delete
  13. So fabulous...I love that you are collaborating with your son. Mine wanted Kobe Bryant and Rap posters and I just said no. But he liked it in the end. The green is so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like both greens...maybe the darker one? Love your choices so far.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love where you are headed with this. I too like the second green piece. Looking awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really, really like this space. Can I move in?

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a mother to a 14 year old boy, I am going to be taking in all the details! As for the green, I prefer the second one, more watery and earthy than the first!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just not understanding here. Are the photos of this room or of others? Since there was no source, I am confused. I love all the photos and some really great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If the photos are mine, they should have my name on them. The others are noted in the paragraphs below the images.

      Delete
  19. I also like the second green with the black wash over the green to give it more of a rustic/aged vibe to it. This is going to be one really awesome room - maybe then he won't want to go off to college ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes..definitely like the darker green, and agree with Holly's comment about the black wash!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely the second green, it is much more masculine. This room is looking very promising, thanks for sharing it with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the green, too! Great inspiration pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the green! A great way to add a pop of color that is also serene.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FALL REFRESH