Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The One Room Challenge: Week Two

It's that time again! Man, if you want to make your weeks really fly by all you have to do is agree to participate in the ORC!  Seriously, a week has passed and I've got nothing!

If you want to catch up, here are weeks 1 & 2.  And just to brief you, my project is my 17 year old son's bedroom. I'm pretty sure my biggest challenge is that every time I get the courage to go upstairs to his room, I find a room that looks like a scene from Hoarders.  And, I quietly go into retreat mode and slink back down the stairs with my tail between my legs.


Here is the original layout.  I tend to lean toward symmetry and really wanted the nightstands and lamps to flank the bed way back when.


The only problem is that at there is a closet that sticks out at the foot of the bed and makes it difficult to get to the other side of the bed.  So, I decided to ditch the nightstands (it was all too matchy anyway) and swing the bed around to the far wall.



Here is the plan.  The bed will be located on the closet wall which means limited space for additional furniture and lamps.  We brought in a pair of wall lamps and hung them above the bed which I didn't love.  Sorry, I don't have a picture.  I'm thinking they would work better on the walls beside the bed which would open up the wall space above the bed making room for something fun.  As far as a night stand, I'm going to use a metal stool.  The only surface that Tyler needs is a place to charge his phone.  I'm torn on what to do with the bed.  It either needs to be refinished or painted.  Tick tock.  Thoughts?


I have managed to do some shopping for the room this week.  I ordered this monogrammed pillow from Ballard which I suppose will determine the color of the soon to be chest of drawers.


Here is the chest of drawers in question.  By the way, thanks for your input on the color last week!  Now I wonder, if I paint the bed do I leave the chest alone or vice versa?  I'm feeling kind of panicky - can you sense it?!


I also scored these crest mirrors from Joss & Main which will go behind the bed.  Hooray for ordering stuff. Otherwise there would truly be nothing to report.  Maybe next week I'll just post a picture of the boxes when they arrive and call it a week.  Ha!  I kid.

That's it for me this week.  Boring I know, but hopefully before long I will have actual progress pictures to share.

Now, let's see what the others have been up to...I'll bet they are running laps around me fo sho!







29 comments :

  1. Don't paint the bed! Those spindles are really beautiful, and paint will just hide the detail. Plus it will be REALLY hard to paint:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor plan looks great! I know what you mean about peaking into their rooms...mines in college now...so, it's staying pretty neat. Great idea with the shield mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about making a pallet headboard? It would be nice and rustic and masculine. Plus it would be cheap. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Ava. And I know exactly how you feel about going into the room. I have to brace myself for the horror every night before I walk in. She seems fine with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Ava, paint the chest not the bed. I'm guessing with all of the boxes arriving that you will get 'er done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the outcast, as usual. Paint the bed black. I am struggling to stay on a schedule, too. So many unexpected twists and turns. I'm too old to pull an "all-nighter". Love the mirrors. Did you see the corner shelves that LGN did? They would work and keep it symmetrical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paint the chest!! It will look so much cleaner and more open when you do. You will be a happy mom!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leave the bed - see this photo: http://pinterest.com/pin/258253359853778217/ - add an oriental rug for a masculine effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Been thinking about an Turkish rug in here.

      Delete
  9. This made me giggle ~ a lot of the posts were similar, mine included. We're all SO good at picking out the fun stuff! It's going to be down to the wire with the rest! I really do like the dresser as is, but the bed would take awhile...tick, tock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the bed could be really fun if painted dark-give it that sultry mad men feel. Maybe not so much for a 17 year old but cool nonetheless ;) Def paint the dresser. You're doing great! I love the mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would get rid of the footboard of the bed. I believe the room will feel larger. Or like someone above said: make a more rugged headboard and replace the bedframe totally. Paint the dresser. Love your style. Jo @ Let's Face the Music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that beds without foot boards open up a room! Would love to do this in each of our bedrooms. However, I'm using what I have this go round. Thanks so much for your input!

      Delete
  12. Love the idea of painting the bed black!

    ReplyDelete
  13. after reading this post and then reading the comments...how about we switch beds?! I need a wooden bed with a footboard and you need a fabric headboard and floating bed. Perfect, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! Would take your cast offs any day Julia!

      Delete
  14. I like to push the easy button...paint the chest. That bed might be hard to paint. Don't feel bad...I have not even begun to paint yet....so behind the game right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. René, I love the bed and agree with Linda paint it black OR the anonymous reply .. I looked at the link ... the bed has been "roughed up" kind of sanded down. And Paint the dresser. I paint anything if it sits in front of me long enough!! Funny, my daughter has a similar layout in her bedroom and it is a tough one ... we put the bed on the closet wall too!! So fun!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's going to be great Rene. No need to panic. You're doing great! I agree with the other commenters, I think the bed looks great as is. The dresser will be great painted.

    Looking forward to seeing next week's update!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rene it IS a lot of pressure...I give you gals a lot of credit for putting your skills out there :)

    So hard making so many decisions! It would take me six weeks to decide on what color to order that cute pillow! I'd say you're doing great!

    xo
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I say paint the bed black OR like others have suggested, a different bed with no footboard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You could easily spraypaint that bed, if you want to go in that direction, but I would leave the bed in its current finish, lose the footboard, and paint the chest of drawers. And I agree, all these decisions that I have to make in the remaining few weeks that I have been putting off for over a year are freaking me out.

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perhaps you feel like you don't have a lot to show us but you are doing a great job of building the suspense! I can't wait to see it all...

    Lane

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recently painted an old bedframe black, it really gave it a brand new look and turned a boring piece of furniture into one I love. If you do paint the bedframe I would leave the chest of drawers. But if you decide to paint the chest, definitely go with a bold color and maybe some new hardware. But I really love the chest just as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love that you did the space planning first!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a lot to accomplish in 6 weeks with life on top of it!! Love what you're doing, Rene!

    ReplyDelete
  24. paint the bed, keep the dresser! Maybe just some new hardware?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea to move the bed. Can't wait to see the final result of ORC!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...