Wednesday, October 2, 2013

One Room Challenge | Week One


It's that time again...the One Room Challenge begins today!  My blogging friend Linda, the master mind behind the One Room Challenge has invited me to once again participate along with a host of other talented designer/bloggers.  You might remember me participating last year.  Just to give you a quick explanation of ORC, 20 design oriented bloggers have six weeks to transform a room.  There is no prize & no winner.  We all share progress each week as we go.  Would you like to play along?  This year Linda is opening the fun up to everyone with a link that will be available each Thursday.

Without further ado, I will share my room with you.




Our master bedroom has been on my to-do list for what seems like forever.  We have drawings for a master suite/bathroom renovation that will happen one day, but with college tuition around the corner we are making the most of what we have for the time being.  In this room, I've switched out pillows on occasion, but never followed through with an official plan.  Now is the time.  As you can see, the bed is located in front of a window.  Not ideal, but in this case it is the only way to get all of the furniture to fit in the room.  There are lots of beautiful rooms with beds in front of windows so I know it can be done.  The wall color is currently frosty white, SW and while I love the other grays on the same color strip, this gray is too light for the room. We've lived with it this way for at least a year and feel it is time to move on.  The night stands will get a makeover as well.  They are on the small side, but I am working with a 12 x 12 room.  (Our children got the master bedroom upstairs which is much larger and use it as a playroom.)  We actually enjoy being downstairs so the small room is the trade off.  I'm not sure about the direction of window treatments yet, but I do know that the blackout shades are staying as darkness is a must.  My plan is to hide them with bamboo shades which will bring in texture and warmth while still allowing us to have complete darkness and hide the uglies.  As for curtains, I'm still thinking about that one.


We are fortunate to have a window seat in between the built-ins which needs a new cushion and pillows.  As you can see in the above image, it makes the window treatment scenario a bit awkward.  Magazines tend to pile up under there too so some sort of basket would be nice.


On the wall at the foot of the bed is a dresser from my childhood.  I'm planning to move it to another room and bring in a painted piece to break up all the dark wood.  I'm also considering working in a tv wall gallery over the new dresser.

I envision a serene master retreat with pale blues, creams, and grays.  I'm looking forward to finally finishing this room.

Now let's go see what the others are up to.



39 comments :

  1. This sounds like a great challenge which I am sure you will be up for, Rene. Love the window seat and the idea of bamboo shades. Look forward to seeing the transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can not wait to see you work your magic! The plan sounds gorge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! i always love watching the progression of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to watch the transformation! I know it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be extra fun, Rene ~ I didn't think anyone had a MB the size of mine, at least you didn't ignore yours for years! :) Can't wait, no doubt it will be gorgeous when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so inspired by this challenge that I have decided to play along!!! Your Master Bedroom is going to be amazing...and I cannot wait to see the magic you work in there...wait...that came out wrong...oh well, you know what I mean! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got such a great canvas to work with ! can't wait to see how it turns out! I'm going to be joining ya'll thru the ORC linking party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a great room to work with. Love the window seat. Can't wait to see you transform it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love a MB downstairs. Yeah, college is so much closer than I want it to be...how did that happen? I am impressed that you have your childhood dresser. I wish I had mine. Your room is a decent size, and the plans you have will make it feel so fresh and serene. We are television addicts, I am always impressed when people don't need one in their master bedrooms. Nice to read that you want one in yours. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice room. Love the charming window seat. Looking forward to see progress next week!

    P/S: Come by and enter my current giveaway for a chance to win a set of beautiful velvet pumpkins if you like.

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2013/09/giveaway-gorgeous-trio-velvet-pumpkins.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see how you deal with the window above the bed! I am dealing with the same issue in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love window seats. This will be fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bet that window seat will be a favorite blogging spot for you...can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be watching every step of the way! Can't wait to see what you do, talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i cant WAIT to see - i love everything you do rene! serious. looks like youve got great pieces to start - i love that comforter on the bed, i love the texture of the rug. i am excited to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have a small master too so I'm very interested to see what you do with this. How fun to have a window seat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let's here it for the "using what you have" plan of attack. Very excited to see what you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems like the master bedroom is the easiest room to neglect and yet, probably one of the most important spaces in the house if you think about it. I almost chose to do mine for this challenge. I think your space is charming. The window seat area has so much potential. I am sure the space will be fabulous when you are done! Looking forward to watching it progress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so with you on the blackout fabric! That's a must for me, too! The colors you've chosen will be so serene and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha Ha...I love the quote about living with the paint color a WHOLE year.....funny. Now you are locked in and have to finish it. The same with me last year on my guest room and I am glad I made the decisions and finally finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so exciting and I love, love window seats! The Master will be amazing!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Velvet Pumpkin Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I love your planned color scheme! My bed happens to be in front of a window too. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm also doing our Master! Love your plans and the window seat is probably going to end up being your favorite spot to chill! Can't wait to see it come together!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think there's anything more charming than a window seat. I know you--of all people--will transform your bedroom into a space that finally makes you happy and inspires all of us readers.

    You know I'll be checking in every week (like I wouldn't already...ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  25. The room is darling! I cannot wait to see what you do - the plan sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I too think the room is a bit cold...I think one bold color in the room could have warmed it up! Love, love bringing in the musical posters!!! I think a mix of prints would also be fun for the bed and some accent pillows. I love monogramming where possible!!! Enjoy and I can't wait to see the finish product!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am thrilled to be in the One Room Challenge with you. It is a much needed swift kick in the rear to get this room looking good. Cannot wait to see what everyone comes up with.

    Cannot wait to see your Master Bedroom AFTER!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like the TV/ Gallery wall idea. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pale blues, creams and grays sound lovely...very peaceful. Can't wait to see what you do Rene! I know it will be beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cant wait to see transformation!
    Best,
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looking forward to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can't wait to see what you do. I always love what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for you room. That window seat is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that window seat!! I know what you do will look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Late to the party, but I'm very excited to follow along, Rene! Your plan looks beautiful, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together over the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FALL REFRESH